F-1 and M-1 Status

Canadians seeking to study in the United States must first apply for and be accepted by a U.S. SEVIS-accredited school. If accepted, the school will issue an I-20 form and the student can directly apply for F-1 or M-1 status at the border. You must contact the school directly in you want F-1 or M-1 status.

F-1 and M-1 Status

F-1 Status

F-1 status is the most common status issued to Canadians coming to study full time in the United States. Arrangements for F-1 status are made directly between USCIS and the school. Generally speaking, F-1 status issued to Canadian citizen students enrolled in a full-time SEVIS-approved school. Unrelated off-campus employment is not generally permitted for those in F-1 status, though arrangements may be made for students to work part-time on campus.

You should speak to your student services office if you wish to work part-time.

M-1 Status

M-1 status is similar to F-1 status except that it allows foreign students wishing to pursue vocational or non-academic studies, other than language training, to enter the U.S.

Arrangements for M-1 status can be made directly between USCIS and the school. Off-campus, unrelated employment is generally not permitted.