U.S. Work Visas

Visa options for Canadians to work in the United States

Canadians Working in the U.S.

Email us if you have a question about U.S. work visa options for Canadians.

You must have a job offer from a U.S. employer who is willing to sponsor you for a work visa. There is no way to apply for a work visa on your own without a job offer, or without the support of a U.S. employer.

Working in the United States is not as simple as applying, getting a job, and moving to the U.S. Instead, you need to have a valid work visa or work permit in order to legally work in the U.S.

Examples of jobs that do not qualify for a work visa

While there are several work visa categories that Canadians may be eligible to be sponsored under, not all jobs or job offers will qualify for a work visa. Some examples of jobs that would not qualify for a U.S. work visa include:

  • Truck driver
  • Wedding photographer
  • Uber or Lyft driver
  • Real estate agent
  • Coffee barista
  • Construction worker
  • Salesperson (eg – retail sales, account executives, etc.)
  • Bartender or waiter
  • Lab technician
  • Police officer
  • Firefighter
  • Military
  • Lifeguard
  • Plumber
  • Electrician
  • Flight attendant