F-1 and M-1 Visas

Canadians wishing to study in the United States must first apply for and be accepted by a U.S. SEVIS-accredited school. If accepted, the school will issue an I-20 and the student can apply for F-1 or M-1 status at the border.

F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa is the most common student visa issued for Canadians coming to study full time in the United States. Arrangements for the F-1 visa are made directly between USCIS and the school. Generally speaking, the F-1 visa issued to Canadian citizen students enrolled in a full-time SEVIS-approved school. Unrelated off-campus employment is not generally permitted on an F-1 visa, though arrangements may be made for students to work part-time on campus. You should speak to your student services office if you wish to work part-time.

M-1 Visa

The M-1 student visa is similar to the F-1 visa, only that it allows foreign students wishing to pursue vocational or non-academic studies, other than language training, to enter the U.S. Arrangements for the M-1 visa are made directly between USCIS and the school and off-campus, unrelated employment is generally not permitted.

Website Maximilian Law Inc.